This tributary of Matthews Creek gets its name from the illegal activity carried on at the falls. Old moonshining barrels remain in a cave behind the upper section. This waterfall plunges like a veil 40 feet over a dark granite cliff, strikes a ledge, turns 90 degrees and plunges into a pool. A great view is from behind the upper section of the falls.
The 3-mile hike to the falls begins at Asbury Hills Camp. The trail is open to the public but when camp is in session (June 1 through the first week of August) the trail can be crowded with campers. Please call the camp for permission: 864-836-3711.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 35.0947 Lon: -82.6315
1. From the Post Office in Cleveland, follow US 276 West/SC 11 South 5 miles to where US 276 West turns right toward Caesars Head State Park.
2. Follow US 276 West for 1.7 miles to Asbury Hills Camp.
3.. Turn LEFT onto Lakemont Road at the entrance of the camp.
4. Immediately turn RIGHT and follow the road to a gate. Pass through the gate and continue 0.3 miles to the trailhead. NOTE: The gate is locked at 5pm.
5. Turn LEFT just past the trailhead and park.
1. Follow the Ashbury Trail for 1.5 miles to a cable crossing over Matthews Creek. Continue for 300 feet to where Naturaland Trust Trail #14 (pink blaze) connects.
2. Turn RIGHT onto Naturaland Trust Trail and hike 0.5 miles to a right turn onto a trail.
3. Continue to an old kiosk, designated as a "Hot Spot," that indicates you are off Naturaland Trust Trail.
4. Continue on and look for a small stack of rocks on the right with red paint marks indicating the spur trail to Moonshine Falls.
5. Turn RIGHT and continue 300 feet to a steep trail on the left that descends to the base of the falls.
As we just provide information, if you have a question regarding a particular trail, it is best to contact the source listed. We encourage good stewardship of our natural resources. Be prepared for your outing and Leave No Trace of your visit. For more hiking and waterfall trips, check out the publications of Milestone Press.
The information on this website is used entirely at the reader's discretion, and is made available on the expressed condition that no liability, expressed or implied, is accepted by Discover Upcountry Carolina Association or any of its associates, employees or affiliates for the accuracy, content or use thereof. Links to other websites from this website do not imply endorsement by Discover Upcountry Carolina Association.