Fall Creek Falls consists of three waterfalls, each roughly 30 to 40 feet high, in a two mile-long stretch. The first falls is just below the west side of FS 722 and the second begins 20 feet after the first one ends. But if you’re planning to explore the third, you’ll need to budget about two hours for the difficult, two-mile downstream hike. There is no marked trail and dense rhododendron thickets make the going tough. Stay close to the creek as the brush gets thicker farther away. Fall Creek, after going over the third falls, empties into the Chattooga River.
GPS Waypoints Lat: 34.8226 Lon: -83.2511
1. From Westminster drive WEST on US 76 for 16.2 miles and turn RIGHT (east) onto Chattooga Ridge Road (Oconee County S-37-196).
2. Drive approximately 2 miles and turn LEFT (north) onto Fall Creek Road (FS 722).
3. Follow FS 722 until it forks, and take the LEFT (west) fork.
4. At approximately 0.7 mile FS 722 crosses over Fall Creek. PARK beyond the creek. The first level of Fall Creek Falls is visible from the roadside.
5. Walk up the road about 150 feet to a faint path and follow it to an old logging road. Within approximately 25 yards, the falls can be seen on your LEFT. It is easy to make your way through the woods to the falls.
6. Following the stream downstream will bring you to the other levels of the falls, but it is an extremely difficult because of the thick brush.
As we just provide information, if you have a question regarding a particular trail, it is best to contact the source listed. We encourage good stewardship of our natural resources. Be prepared for your outing and Leave No Trace of your visit. For more hiking and waterfall trips, check out the publications of Milestone Press.
The information on this website is used entirely at the reader's discretion, and is made available on the expressed condition that no liability, expressed or implied, is accepted by Discover Upcountry Carolina Association or any of its associates, employees or affiliates for the accuracy, content or use thereof. Links to other websites from this website do not imply endorsement by Discover Upcountry Carolina Association.