The congregation was founded in 1820 by summer residents from Charleston. In 1825, Vardry McBee, who was an early industrialist in Greenville, gave 4 acres (1.6 ha) for the church. The cornerstone was laid on September 15, 1825.
The churchyard has a cemetery. In addition to Vardry McBee, clergy, church members, former mayors, three politicians are interred: the post Civil Warprovisional Governor Benjamin Franklin Perry, his son, US Congressman William H. Perry, and US Senator Joseph H. Earle.